Your house does not need to be on the market to take steps to increase its value, but your home’s value is one of the main reasons why you don’t rent. You want to see a profit when you sell. Some assume that adding a half bathroom or installing a pool are projects that make a home more desirable, but this is rarely the case. Sure, there are a couple rooms that are worth it to remodel, but quite often it is the small, budget-friendly improvements that all add up to increase your home’s value.
1. Kitchen and Bathroom Remodel – These are the two rooms that often hold the most weight on a buying decision. So, if you are going to invest in remodels focus on these spaces. If you are not prepared to spend the money on a remodel fake it with a few upgrades. New fixtures and lighting, updated counters, and refaced cabinets will at least keep you competitive with other similar homes on the market.
2. Update Lighting – When you update your kitchen and bath, the lighting will be included, but don’t forget the rest of the home. Lighting plays a huge role in making rooms appear larger.
3. Energy Efficient Upgrades – Anyone can appreciate features that will ultimately save them money. Now, you probably won’t recoup your money on replacing all the windows in your home, but water saving faucets and energy efficient lighting and appliances are elements that will get noticed.
4. Work on Curb Appeal – If you really only get a few seconds to make a strong first impression then your front yard really has its work cut out for it. Curb appeal is important, but don’t go overboard with elaborate landscaping that looks difficult to maintain.
5. Showcase Your Garage – Many people overlook the garage, but to a buyer who has never had one this is really a big deal. You want the garage to look as big as possible. Installing wall and/or ceiling organizing shelves shows there is plenty of storage space to take advantage of while leaving enough room for your vehicle.
6. Make it Spotless – A clean home just looks like it is worth more. Deep clean the carpets and scrub the baseboards. You may even want to rent a power washer to clean the exterior of the home.
If you are going to invest time and money into your home to increase its value, make sure you are focusing on the right projects. Even if you are not selling immediately, the value you create will be enjoyed by you now, but also contribute to a higher selling price in the future.